• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A Medicare on the CPC exam

jane

Blitzer
Hello,

I am a blitz student. I am enrolled in an online review course. I just finished the digestive system today. On the chapter test, the was a medicare related question regarding colonoscopy screenings and there was a G code (HCPCS code) listed first in the correct answer, followed by ICD-9. I got it wrong because I missed that this was a medicare patient. Are there going to be questions like this on the exam? If medicare is going to be on the CPC exam what information should I be studying?

Thanks so much,
Jane

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Yes there are questions like that on the exam.

louise

CCO Practicoder
It's easy to assume that HCPCS and CPT are separate things. Actually, what we call CPT, is really just the first volume of HCPCS. What we think of as HCPCS most of the time is really just the second volume of HCPCS.

HCPCS Level I codes, what we know so well as CPT, are governed by the AMA (American Medical Administration). CMS has created HCPCS Level II codes and have directed that they be used for all Medicare billings when applicable (that is...when a HCPCS Level II code exists that is directly comparable to a CPT code). So, in general, for Medicare claims, if you find both a CPT and a HCPCS Level II code that both describe the same service or procedure, chose the HCPCS code. For other payers, check with their specific guidelines. There are exceptions to these rules; each section of HCPCS Level II has it's uses.

For example, Medicare would prefer you use Go436 for this service:
99406 Smoking and tobacco use cessation counseling visit; intermediate, greater than 3 minutes, up to 10 minutes
Go436 Smoking and tobacco cessation counseling visit for the asymptomatic patient; intermediate, greater than 3 minutes, up to 10 minutes

So, to answer your question about what to study, I can only tell you about what I have experience with:
AAPC has Medical Coding Training: CPC 2014 is a standard text for studying for your CPC. I've also spend a bunch of time with Buck's Exam Prep for CPC, Physician Coding Exam Review 2014 Edition. I appreciated Buck's link to the Evolve website. There are 3 full practice exams (5 hours and 40 minutes) and quizes for anatomy and physiology on the Evolve site. The text though was more like an outline of what to study, not what I expected. It did have tons of practice questions. I'm sorry to say that I am so new to CCO and their wonderful staff that I haven't had a chance to benefit from their obvious skill and training products. As a newby here, I can say that this site seems like the best I've come across so far. I've signed up for the CCO Practicode practicum and am humbled. There is so much to learn...oh my gosh!

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Also, a good thing to know for the CPC Exam is what the various Parts of Medicare are for, and who pays for what. Alicia Scott, CPC, CPC-I, discussed this during the September 2014 Q&A webinar. She gave an overview of Part A,B, C and D. If you missed it, consider joining the CCO Club!

Join the CCO Club if you would like to have the full transcript, answer sheets, access to the recording, and a chance to earn an AAPC CEU. You will also get access to all the available monthly Q&A webinar resources when you join the CCO Club!

jane

Blitzer
Thanks Ruth. I was a member of the replay club, but it got to be too expensive for me to keep going. I had to cancel it.